What are roofing overhauls of a building?
The concept of roofing overhauls is revealed in the Civil Code of the New Jersey’s Federation. These are replacement (restoration) works about building constructions (except load-bearing) and their components. During major roof repairs, the malfunctions of the damaged parts of the common property are eliminated by renovation, replaced with similar or with better performance characteristics. If technical possibilities are allowed, then the modernization of the residential building is carried out taking into account the modern requirements in the field of efficient use.
Overhauls are of different types of roofing services and improvement of the degree of living comfort. Based on the volume of work performed, there are:
- Extensive repairs were carried out to restore all the damaged parts of the common property. Upon completion of such a repair technical condition buildings must fully comply with all building codes and functional requirements.
- Selective overhaul includes the replacement or repair of individual building components, certain utilities.
- Selective complex repairs are performed during the execution, impossible or full of significant difficulties. These can be situations when: Significant damage to some structures threatens the safety of other buildings. There is no economic feasibility of carrying out a complete renovation of the building or there are peculiarities of its financing. Restriction or suspension of household use may be required.
- Also, in addition to the planned overhaul, there is an unplanned (emergency) repair, which is carried out to repair damage caused to building structures in the house as a result of any emergencies.
What are the differences of current and major home repairs?
It is essential to distinguish major repairs from ongoing repair work, as the rights and obligations of the parties and other stakeholders in the housing relationship depend directly on the proper quality of the work performed. For example, in real estate contracts for reciprocal use (rent, lease), the current repairs are the responsibility of the lessee and the capital repairs are the responsibility of the lessor.
These types of repairs are funded from a variety of sources. The characteristics of each type of repair are based on the difference in the objectives, frequency and scope of the repair work. Regular (preventive) repairs are activities that are performed systematically in order to prevent premature wear of structures, decoration, building communications and work to eliminate minor damage and damage. An approximate set of measures implemented as part of the current repair is contained in the Methodological Manual for the maintenance and repair of the housing stock, approved by the Federal Service for Construction and Housing and Utilities (now the Ministry of Construction).
The current repairs have a planned preventive character. The preventive repair works do not require interruption in the full use of the premises of the building by the residents, they are performed periodically and quite often, in addition, such works are less expensive than the general repair. Often, the line between capital and current repairs is conditional, as the objects of the repair work are the same structures and their components. During the overhaul, a damaged component is replaced or repaired and the object of the current repair is to maintain the structures in good condition throughout their normal life. For example, repairing a roofing leak is a routine repair, and replacing the entire roof of a house is important. Ongoing work is performed and funded by housing maintenance companies from rent and rent payments.
Overhaul in an apartment building is paid for through targeted payments by the owners. It is also necessary to distinguish overhaul from building reconstruction work. During the reconstruction, in contrast to the repairs, measures are taken to change the basic parameters of the building (number of floors, area) or to completely replace the support structures.
Owners of apartments and non-residential areas located in an apartment building are legally obliged to fully finance the renovation of communal property. The monthly contributions paid pare accumulated in a specialized trust fund of general repair, which is formed in two ways:
- In a separate bank account (the accumulated money is spent in a specific house).
- Accumulation of funds in a collective account, managed by a regional body, which carries out all the organizational measures for the repair of the housing stock in a single entity according to the general roof repair program approved by the regional authorities.
The minimum mandatory contribution is approved by law in each region of the country. The calculation of the amount of the contribution for a specific owner is done in rubles by multiplying the specified invoice with the total area of the premises belonging to a citizen or legal entity.
The contributions may differ depending on:
- From belonging to the territory of a specific municipality
- Number of floors
- Real lifespan
- The cost and volume of repair work
- The service life of the common property items
Other works, except those specified in the Housing Code of the New Jersey Federation, can be performed only at the expense of exceeding the contribution for roofing overhauls.